1 having the properties of glue [syn: gluey, glutinous, gummy, mucilaginous, pasty, viscid, viscous]
2 moist as with undried perspiration and with clothing sticking to the body; "felt sticky and chilly at the same time"
3 hot or warm and humid; "muggy weather"; "the steamy tropics"; "sticky weather" [syn: muggy, steamy]
4 hard to deal with; especially causing pain or embarrassment; "awkward (or embarrassing or difficult) moments in the discussion"; "an awkward pause followed his remark"; "a sticky question"; "in the unenviable position of resorting to an act he had planned to save for the climax of the campaign" [syn: awkward, embarrassing, unenviable]
- Rhymes with: -ɪki
- Able or likely to stick.
- Is this tape sticky enough to stay on that surface?
- Potentially difficult to escape from.
- This is a sticky situation. We could be in this for weeks if we're not careful.
- (GUI design) Persistent across multiple incarnations of a
- We should make the printing direction sticky so the user doesn't have to keep setting it.
- computing of a window Appearing on all virtual desktops.
- internet of threads on a bulletin board fixed at the top of the list of topics or threads so as to keep it in view.
- In the context of "internet|bulletin boards": to fix a thread at the top of the list of topics or threads so as to keep it in view.
Stickiness or the quality of being sticky can refer to several things:
- the physical phenomena of adhesion and cohesion
- the defining physico-chemical property of glue
- Sticky note
- Sticky (economics)
- Sticky (comics)
- Sticky content on the Web attracts visitors to return to the site and/or spend long periods of time on the same site.
- Sticky windows, in computing, refers to making a window visible on all virtual desktops
- see also: Sticky bit, Sticky keys
sticky in German: klebrig
adherent, adhesive, amylaceous, awkward, bathed in sweat, bathetic, beaded with sweat, beery, boggy, bulldogged, bulldoggish, bulldoggy, bullheaded, clabbered, clammy, clingy, close, clotted, cloying, coagulated, curdled, damp, dampish, dank, delicate, dewy, diaphoretic, difficult, discomforting, doughy, drenched with sweat, embarrassing, fenny, formidable, gaumy, gelatinous, glairy, gluelike, gluey, glutenous, glutinose, glutinous, gooey, grumous, gumbo, gumbolike, gumlike, gummous, gummy, gushing, hairy, heavy, humid, in a sweat, inspissated, jelled, jellied, jellylike, knotty, laborious, marshy, maudlin, mawkish, moist, mucilaginous, mucky, muggy, mushy, namby-pamby, nostalgic, nostomanic, obstinate, operose, oppressive, oversentimental, oversentimentalized, pasty, persistent, perspiring, perspiry, rainy, romantic, ropy, roric, roriferous, rough, rugged, sappy, self-adhesive, sensitive, sentimental, sentimentalized, slabby, slimy, slithery, sloppy, slushy, soft, soggy, soppy, starchy, stickable, stifling, stodgy, strenuous, stringy, stubborn, stuffy, sudatory, sudoric, sudorific, suffocating, sultry, swampy, sweating, sweaty, sweltering, syrupy, tacky, tear-jerking, teary, tenacious, thick, thickened, ticklish, tough, tremelloid, tremellose, tricky, uncomfortable, undried, viscid, viscose, viscous, wet, wet with sweat, wettish, wilted